This is a panoramic view of the Nagasaki foreign settlement in 1864 taken by the photographer Beato. The photographer took the photo around the Glover House. The houses of Dejima can be seen to the far left. The u-shaped wooden building in the foreground is Belle View Hotel. On the hill of Higashiyamate to the right stand the first Protestant church in Japan,the Anglican Episcopal Church (the one with a tower), built in October, 1862, and the British Consulate. -6151- -6151-
Copyright 2008 Nagasaki University Library. All rights reserved.