This photo captures the Oura foreign settelement and Oura Church taken from Higashiyamate by Felix Beato who was visiting Nagasaki. Since the church construction had already been completed, it is assumed that it was taken in 1865. Oyama Shunoshin, from Amakusa, was in charge of the construction. The vicarage and the Glover House built in 1863 can be clearly seen to the right of the church. The pine tree at the house was curved and hence it was called ｡ﾈYongo-matsu.｡ﾉ The other tree, seen to the lower right , was called ｡ﾈSagari-matsu｡ﾉ and later became the name of the place -6163-
Copyright 2008 Nagasaki University Library. All rights reserved.