This is a rare photo showing Nagasaki City from the side of Mt. Inasa around 1864. This photo shows that Japanese boats were docked around Goto-machi and foreign ones off the coast of Oura. Also the west branch of Nishi Bugyo and the buildings of Dejima are clearly visible to the left of centre. The warehouses of Shinchi and the port are seen in the background near the centre. Koshima Clinic is also visible above it. The buildings on Oura Bund (seaside street) are visible as well. The first Protestant church in Japan, the white Anglican Episcopal Church built in 1862 can be seen on the hill. The building to its right with a flag pole is the British Consulate. -6165-
Copyright 2008 Nagasaki University Library. All rights reserved.