This is the seaside of the Oura Foreign Settlement called The Bund taken from Dejima. Oura Church built in 1864 is visible on the right. Many foreigners lived on the street at that time: an American Albert Farley Heard at No. 11, a Frenchman Eugene Pignatel at No. 10 ,also a Frenchman called William F. Gaymans at No. 9, an Englishman Alt at No. 7 and 8, another Englishman John Maltby at No. 6, Glover at No. 5, a Dutchman William Maltinus van der Tak, at No.4, an American John Walsh, a British company Jardine Matheson Holdings Limited at No. 2, and an Englishman George Lewis at No. 1. -6272-
Copyright 2008 Nagasaki University Library. All rights reserved.