This photo captures the city of Nagasaki and Seitokukan from the hill of Higashiyamate around 1865. The two white buildings on the right hill are Yojosho (hospital) built in 1861 and the one on the left is Igakusho (medical school) attached to it. The big building on its left is Bunseki-Kyurisho where physics and chemistry were taught. They are merged and renamed as Seitokukan in 1865. This is the place where the modern medical education and hospital in Japan began and the root of Nagasaki University School of Medicine. The roof of Shokakuji temple is seen next to it. The houses on the lower right are Tojin-yashiki (Chinese residences). When looking closely, the hall and decorations can be seen.
Copyright 2008 Nagasaki University Library. All rights reserved.