The entrance to Ueno Park
untitled
[ID] 2215กกกก( ID:2215 )
[Photographer] Tamamura Kozaburo
[Album] Tamamura Kozaburo (Album)
[Place] Tokyo
[Date] unknown
[Color] color
[Size] 133x90
[Cabinet] 48-68-0
[Keyword] park/rest/man and woman/carriage

The stairs on the right lead to Ueno Park from Ueno Square. The hill above the stairs was called Sakuragaoka. A Confucian Shrine (later moved to Yushima) was built there in 1630 by Hayashi Razan. The famous statue of Saigo Takamori by Takamura Koun was erected here in 1897. The roof to the left of the stairs is Ueno Kiyomizu-do, built by the priest Tenkai. The Kuromon (Black Gate) was stood formerly on the site at the left edge of the photograph. Mid-Meiji Period.