Cherry trees at Mukojima° 1°ň
573 MUKOJIMA AT TOKYO
[ID] 2654°°°°( ID:2654 )
[Photographer] unknown
[Album]
[Place] Tokyo
[Date] unknown
[Color] color
[Size] 135x90
[Cabinet] 53-40-0
[Keyword] flowers and trees
  Photographs of the same title

The area across Sumida River from Asakusa is Mukojima. There is no official boundary, but area from Mokuboji Temple to Makura Bridge is referred to as Mukojima. The banks of Sumida River at Mukojima are called Sumida-tei or Boku-tei. Cherry trees were planted here during the Kyoho Period (1716-36) by the 8th Shogun Tokugawa Yoshimune, and saplings were planted from time to time thereafter. This area thus became the most popular place to enjoy cherry blossoms in Edo. Taken around 1898.