Kiyomizudera Temple,Kyoto° 2°ň
[ID] 3070°°°°( ID:3070 )
[Photographer] F. Beato
[Album] F. Beato
[Place] Kyoto
[Date] unknown
[Color] mono
[Size] 204x167
[Cabinet] 62-29-0
[Keyword] temple/scenic spot
  Photographs of the same title

The Nio Gate of Kiyomizu Temple. There are stone lanterns on both the north and the south sides of the stone stairway in front of the gate. The west gate and the three-story pagoda are visible on the far right. Built during the Muromachi Era (1392-1573), the Nio Gate had three rooms and one door with a hiwadabuki (bark-covered) roof. The statue of Kongo Rikishi is situated in the area surrounded by a kongo fence (a fence made of vertical stakes with decoratively shaped finials resembling the ritual object called kongosho used in esoteric Buddhist rites) with lattice work above it. Today, statues of guardian dogs stand in front of the stone lanterns bearing the inscription "Kiyomizu Temple." Taken by Felix Beato.