The front entrance to Toshogu Shrine,Nikko° 6°ň
[ID] 3301°°°°( ID:3301 )
[Photographer] Ogawa,Kazumasa
[Album] Ogawa Kazumasa
[Place] Nikko
[Date] unknown
[Color] mono
[Size] 265x208
[Cabinet] 67-43-0
[Keyword] shrine/Nikko Toshogu
  Photographs of the same title

This gate was called Niomon because statues of the Nio guardian deities were placed there until 1871, when Shinto and Buddhism were officially separated and the statues were transferred to Taiyuin Mausoleum. Subsequently, the gate was called Omotemon (Front Gate). Until the Nio statues were returned in 1897, the "komainu" (guardian dogs), previously in the back, were placed in front as seen in this photograph.