A view of the Goji-in plain outside Ichihashi-mon Gate
[ID] 4004กกกก( ID:4004 )
[Photographer] R. Stillfried
[Album] R. Stillfried(album 3)
[Place] Tokyo
[Date] unknown
[Color] mono
[Size] 242x194
[Cabinet] 78-22-0
[Keyword] castle/view/modern architecture

View of Shimizu-mon (gate) located half-way up Kudan-zaka (in front of Tayasu Gate). The gate visible in the centre back is Shimizu-mon. Since the gate was destroyed in 1873, this photograph must have been taken before that date. The building on its right is the guardsmen's artillery station at Takebashi. The moat in the foreground was called Ushigafuchi (Bull Ravine). The Shinsen Tokyo Meishozue (Newly Selected Famous Places of Tokyo) states that, "A bull and cart carrying coins went down into the moat and never came up, and this is the origin of the name." When attached to photograph #4003, this becomes a continuous panoramic scene.