Shiba Zojoji Temple° 3°ň
438 SHIBA
[ID] 4009°°°°( ID:4009 )
[Photographer] R. Stillfried
[Album] R. Stillfried(album 3)
[Place] Tokyo
[Date] unknown
[Color] mono
[Size] 242x194
[Cabinet] 78-27-0
[Keyword] temple
  Photographs of the same title

The main hall of Zojoji, built in 1605 after the relocation of the temple to Shiba from its original location at Edo Kaizuka (present-day Kioi-machi, Kanda Ward) in 1598. The temple was under the protection of the shogunate because it was the main temple of the Jodo sect of Buddhism in the Kanto area. Thus, the roof beam is embellished with the five gold hollyhock crests of the Tokugawa Shogunate. The building was destroyed by arson in December 1873. Although rebuilt in 1890, it burnt down again as a result of a bonfire lit by a homeless man in 1909. Although reconstructed in 1922, it was destroyed for a third time by American air raids in 1945. The present main hall was built in 1974.