The Tatsumi Three-story Watchtower at Honmaru (main dungeon),Edo Castle
455 TOKIO
[ID] 4015กกกก( ID:4015 )
[Photographer] R. Stillfried
[Album] R. Stillfried(album 3)
[Place] Tokyo
[Date] unknown
[Color] mono
[Size] 242x194
[Cabinet] 78-33-0
[Keyword] Edo Castle/carriage

The three-story Hasuike Tatsumi watchtower with Tansu Tamon, the longest castle wall-cum-armory at Edo Castle, on the left. This photograph must have been taken before October 7, 1870, when these buildings were probably destroyed as a result of a fire in a explosives warehouse. The low camera angle makes it difficult to tell, but the Hamaguri Moat is located beyond the rickshaws. Uchi Sakurada Gate, standing since the construction of Edo Castle by Ota Dokan, is visible on the far right. The Japanese bellflower crest of the Ota family remained on the gate when the first Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu entered the castle. As a result, the gate is also called Kikyo-mon (Bellflower Gate).