A five-story pagoda at Tennoji Temple,Ueno
No.278 PAGODA AT UYENO
[ID] 4160กกกก( ID:4160 )
[Photographer] Tamamura, Kozaburo
[Album] Tamamura (album 2)
[Place] Ueno
[Date] unknown
[Color] color
[Size] 200x257
[Cabinet] 80-28-0
[Keyword] shrine/temple

This five-story pagoda was built by Doi Toshikatsu, feudal lord of Furukawa Castle, in 1639. The stone lanterns in the foreground line the approach of Toshogu Shrine. The main hall is to the left. The pagoda originally belonged to the shrine, but after the separation of Shintoism and Buddhism in the Meiji Period, it transferred to Kaneiji Temple. At present, it belongs to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government and is located within the Ueno Zoo grounds.