Shijo-dori Avenue,Gion° 2°ň
GIONMACHI,KIOTO F29
[ID] 4244°°°°( ID:4244 )
[Photographer] A. Farsari
[Album] A. Farsari (album 2)
[Place] Kyoto
[Date] unknown
[Color] color
[Size] 247x191
[Cabinet] 82-12-0
[Keyword] street/shrine/carriage
  Photographs of the same title

Western view of Shijo Street (at the foot of the stone stairs of Gion) from the western gate of Yasaka Shrine. The stone statue of a guardian dog on the right was built by Iwata Chubei, Koizumi Shinshichi, and other residents of Kankoboko-cho, Shijo-dori-Muromachi-Higashi-iru in 1882 as a wish for family peace and prosperity. The Pagoda on the left at Yaei Elementary School was used to spot fires. The street was widened in later days. Rickshaws are parked in front of the houses.