The front entrance to Toshogu Shrine,Nikko° 8°ň
[ID] 4633°°°°( ID:4633 )
[Photographer] unknown
[Album]
[Place] Nikko
[Date] unknown
[Color] color
[Size] 137x90
[Cabinet] 91-25-0
[Keyword] shrine/Nikko Toshogu
  Photographs of the same title

This gate was called Niomon because statues of the Nio guardian deities were placed there until 1871, when Shinto and Buddhism were officially separated and the statues were transferred to Taiyuin Mausoleum. Subsequently, the gate was called Omotemon (Front Gate). The chrysanthemum banner hanging at the gate hides the "komainu" (guardian dogs), if they are in fact there.