Cherry trees along the approach to Toshogu Shrine,Ueno
852 Tokio
[ID] 4664กกกก( ID:4664 )
[Photographer] unknown
[Album]
[Place] Tokyo
[Date] unknown
[Color] color
[Size] 141x90
[Cabinet] 92-6-0
[Keyword] shrine/flowers and trees

Ueno Toshogu, the shrine to the first shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu, was built in 1627 by Todo Takatora on the grounds of his second residence. This is a view of the Omote Sando shrine approach from the Karamon. The stone lanterns were donated by various feudal lords. The torii gate visible in the background was donated by Sakaida Tadayo, lord of Umayabashi Castle in Joshu (present-day Gunma Prefecture) in 1633. Later buried for unknown reasons, the torii was unearthed by Sakaida's grandson Sakai Tadatomo in 1734. It survived the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923 and still stands today.