Nagasaki Kiyomizudera Temple° 7°ň
Kiyomizu Temple,Nagasaki
[ID] 5183°°°°( ID:5183 )
[Photographer] unknown
[Album] Picture Postcard (Nagasaki)
[Place] Nagasaki
[Date] unknown
[Color] color
[Size] 142x90
[Cabinet] 99-97-0
[Keyword] temple
  Photographs of the same title

This picture postcard, like catalogue #3854 and #3873, depicts Kiyomizudera, but it was taken in the Taisho Period and so is the most recent of the three. A temple of the Shingon sect of Buddhism, Kiyomizudera was founded by the Buddhist priest Keijun in 1623. There is a bell tower to the right when going up the stairs. The outer shape of the gate is square; the inside features an arch. The main building of the temple is in the centre of the photograph. It is made of wood, has a tiled roof, and is of the one-storied irimoya style. The Taishi-do hall is to the left of the main hall. Below that stands Shotendo which was built in 1822, burned to the ground, and was later rebuilt.