The great camphor tree at Daitokuji Temple,Nagasaki(1)
Nagasaki Largest Camphor Tree at Daitokuji
[ID] 5190  ( ID:5190 )
[Photographer] unknown
[Album] Picture Postcard (Nagasaki)
[Place] Nagasaki
[Date] unknown
[Color] color
[Size] 142x90
[Cabinet] 99-104-0
[Keyword] temple
  Photographs of the same title

The big camphor tree in the Daitokuji precinct. Picture postcard from the Taisho Period. The temple was relocated from Ise-machi to Umegasaki in 1704. It was a high-ranking temple officially granted a tax exemption in 1707. It moved to the current location in Motokago-machi in 1708. The temple prospered as foreign trade increased. However, when trade declined, so did the temple and the temple valuables had to be sold. Finally in 1868, the first year of the Meiji Period, the temple closed.