Desima after the Typhoon
Desima after the Typhoon
[ID] 7131°°°°( ID:7131 )
[Photographer] Ueno, Hikoma
[Album] Potter
[Place] Nagasaki
[Date] 1874
[Color] --
[Size] 279x214
[Cabinet] 135-11-0
[Keyword]

This is a photo by UENO Hikoma of Dejima just after the typhoon of August 20, 1874; taken from the tip of the pier in Umegasaki where the Nagasaki Customs building stood. The right half of Shin-Ohashi Bridge (on the right) has collapsed. The roof of the Chinese Company Guang Long Hao, located by the bridge, has been damaged. The warehouses have been severely damaged: roof tiles have blown away and windows shattered at 22 Dejima (in front of the pine trees), 21 Dejima (far left), and 11 Dejima (up front). Henderson Burnside of the British Missionary Church started renting the Dejima 11 lot in August. St. Andrew°«s College of the Anglican Church would later be built here.