Nagasaki Medical School
[ID] 7152กกกก( ID:7152 )
[Photographer] Ueno, Hikoma ?
[Album] Potter
[Place] Nagasaki
[Date] ca. 1875
[Color] --
[Size] 86x59
[Cabinet] 135-32-0
[Keyword]

This photo captures the Nagasaki Medical School from a hill at Koshima. The medical school be-gan life as the Koshima Clinic and Medical School in 1861. The name changed to Seitokukan in 1865 and after the Meiji Restoration in 1868 to Nagasaki Prefecture Medical School. In 1874 it be-came the Nagasaki Medical School. The big roof is the Analytical Laboratory where physics and chemistry, the basics of medicine, were taught. The Chinese settlement, just rebuilt after a fire, is visible in the valley on the left.